The occupations that follow have been gleaned from a variety of sources. Many have been taken from the various census returns that we have searched through over many years of research, but we have also relied heavily on the following publications, for which we duly acknowledge.
- Dictionary of Nautical Words and Terms, C.W.T. Layton, revised by Peter Clissold, and further revised by Captain A.G.W. Miller, Revised 4th edition 1994. First published 1955.
- The Parish Chest, W.E. Tate, 1959 3rd edition. First published 1946.
- The Companion to British History, Charles Arnold-Baker. 2007 edition. First published 1996.
- The book of English Trades: And Library of the Useful Arts. By John Souter, Published 1818.
- The Universal Etymological English Dictionary, by N. Bailey, London, 1737, Vol. I & II.
- 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, A Buckish slang, University wit and pickpocket eloquence by Francis Grose.
- Chambers Entomological Dictionary of the English Language, by James Donald, 1868.
- Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary, edited by the Rev Thomas Davidson, 1908.
- The Durham Mining Museum website.
- Wikipedia, under the Creative Commins Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License agreement.
This site was last updated on 21 July 2015, and currently contains 4093 entries.